Facilitator of the ISG
My role as Facilitator
Members of the Independent Senators Group (ISG) are autonomous and take policy positions as they see fit, but have joined together for purposes of logistics and ensuring that their legislative and investigative roles are conducted efficiently and effectively in the Senate.
The Chamber Team is led by the Scroll Manager and supported by the Liaison, the Facilitator and the Deputy Facilitator.
The facilitator is responsible for the central coordination of ISG operations, including issues management for matters concerning ISG Business:
- Oversight of the Secretariat
- Interface with Senate officers and officials (the “usual channels”).
- Preparation of discussion papers and briefing notes,
- Information gathering and dissemination,
The Facilitator is supported by a Deputy Facilitator and a Coordinating Team. The Coordinating Team acts as a conduit for advice and information between the Facilitator and ISG senators.
About the ISG
The vision of the Independent Senator's Group is;
that the independent senators contribute to a senate that reflects the needs and the views of diverse Canadians
that Independent Senators give voice to ALL weighty and ardous matters of concern to Canadians.
Members of the ISG have joined together for the purpose of protecting and enhancing the ability of individual senators to conduct their functions as parliamentarians and to vote as each senator sees fit*, while providing mutual support in matters of ;
- sharing information and expertise,
- collective action on bills or issues that the ISG as a whole has designated or will designate, from time to time, as priorities or of common importance to all members of the ISG (known as ISG Business), and
- building on the Modernization Agenda, and working with like-minded Senators across the Chamber, the ISG will actively promote changes in Senate rules and practices that improve the functioning of the Chamber and the work of committees.
[*] Subject to the Rules of the Senate, Senate Administrative Rules and Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest.